Monday, July 24, 2006

It is hot

And I mean HOT. The kind of hot that makes you wonder if maybe you've been a bit more of a bad girl than you thought and that, you know, maybe this is that whole eternal damnation those crazed preachers on television talk about. Okay, maybe it's not *that* hot but it sure is sweltering and humid to boot.

The man on the television last night said the high was 86 here yesterday but I *know* that's a lie. The thermometer outside the house (that happens to be in the shade btw) as well as the one in the car clearly said it was in the high 90's. Of course in a house without air conditioning that means it's not much cooler inside. It's been record high temperatures for a week with more in site.

Every store in the southern half of the state seems to be sold out of fans, air conditioners and even those "Mister mister" things, you know the spritzy bottle with the little fan attached? Hey, I was desperate. The other night I managed to find two itty bitty oscilating fans on some odd shelf at Target. When I brought them home my husband laughed hysterically. He was right to laugh, unless you sit with the damn thing an inch from your head it doesn't do a thing.

Yesterday we all jumped in the pool to cool off (but only a little, it's been so hot even at night that it feels like a bath in there). 10 minutes later big black storm clouds rolled in and we had to get out but hey, at least a storm would cool it off a little, right? Right?! No, it never actually rained and the front passing over only served to make it more humid.

For now the kids are enjoying the constant flow of poscicles but I'm afraid of what's going to happen when the sugar rush wears off. I don't want to be here. Hopefully Mister DM will be home by then and I can bid a hasty exit to the nearest air conditioned starbucks or something.

4 comments:

jouettelove said...

we're literally all sold out of fans here too. the humidity is almost worse than the heat itself. hang in there, hun.

Renée said...

geez, and the apples are just starting to bud and our mornings are noticeably crisper. SIGH

Danger's mom said...

The humidity really is the worst part. I haven't been this sweaty since visiting New Orleans in 97 degree weather with 99% humidity. It's so humid today it's hazy outside and it looks like I've got a brillo pad on my head!

I know you've had horrific heat as well. My sister says all her plants are dying :( Stay cool!

Danger's mom said...

mmm apples. I swear I'll take crisp fall mornings over 90+ anyday. You can keep that snowy winter though ;)