Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Can it really be 6 years?

6 years ago today a very pregnant stb dangers mom and a very stressed Mr. stb dangers mom finished moving from a tiny cold beach duplex to a slightly less tiny two bedroom condo in West Los Angeles. I remember it was raining (as it usually is this time of year) and cold and all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and moan about my sore swollen feet. It had taken 4 days to move the 2 miles already and even though the fish tank we were moving was the last bit I knew there was the cleaning and unpacking still to go.

I wasn't due for another three weeks so there was plenty of time. We'd planned it close but not too close so we'd have time to unpack and set everything up for this new stage of our life. Like most expectant parents we were excited but nervous. We didn't really know what to expect, we didn't know what parenthood would be like. We didn't have much experience with babies, my husband had never held a newborn and I'd only held two, the children of close girlfriends just after birth.

That night I had my 37 week prenatal appointment. The baby's heart rate was a little low so I had to drink some apple juice and sit there hooked up to the fetal monitor to make the doctor happy. It came back up and I left with a lecture about eating more regularly and the doctor's assurance we had at least 2 weeks to go. In the car I got a second lecture from Mr. stb dangers mom about not eating enough and had to explain to him that unless water gave him heartburn he couldn't possibly understand. We stopped at the market where he ran in and bought every snack food known to man for me to munch on then went back to our old place to pack up any other small things that were left behind.

When we got there I realized I was actually really hungry and had a huge hankering for some spicy beef and broccoli from the Chinese restaurant next door. Mr. stb dangers mom was just so glad I actually wanted to eat that he rushed right over there to get it. The two of us ate our last meal in our well loved first home together then turned off the light, closed the door behind us and stepped into the next chapter of our lives together.



To be continued tomorrow....

No comments: