Monday, February 20, 2006

What we seem to have here is a failure to communicate

Last night my girlfriend came over in tears, bottle of wine in hand. It seems her husband, ever the sensitive guy he is, had suffered from another bout of "open mouth insert foot" syndrome. She was already feeling slightly frail after celebrating her 40th birthday last week and his comments, though likely innocent in nature, stung.

Since my own big sensitive guy is traveling this week and my son is skiing with grandpa, we are a house sans men right now. That's a bonus when comforting a hurting friend who is mad at her husband. So we had a few glasses of chardonnay and we talked it out.

She went home at the end of the evening to a concerned husband. She'd driven her car and parked it around the block so he didn't know she was just down the street. He thought maybe he'd finally gone and done it this time without really knowing what it was he did. He almost stepped in it again by suggesting this wasn't the first time she'd overreacted to something he'd said. She pointed out that if she'd left in a huff every time he said something stupid they wouldn't spend a whole lot of time together.

You are all probably wondering just what the heck my point is. Just this. Sometimes we hurt each other with our words. Sometimes we are all careless with each other unintentionally. My friends you are all very special to me. If I have hurt you with careless words I'm sorry. If I have ever made you feel there is something you cannot tell me forgive me. I am human and sometimes I speak without thinking it through. Please keep in mind that I would never try to hurt you intentionally and I will try to remember the same goes for you. Please tell me when I've stepped on your toes and I will try to make it right. I hope I can do the same with you.

No comments: